Fiscal Cliff Explanationon Friday, 2 November 2012. Posted in Economic Commentary
Links that explain what it means
This article was originally posted on Caterer Goodman’s online blog China Expat Money.
Over the past year there have been numerous articles and debates about the Fiscal Cliff dilemma. Rather than write the one millionth fiscal cliff article, I’d prefer to just introduce a number of well written ones that hit the key points. Listed below are six links from respected publications that I recommend.
1. What is the fiscal cliff and what does it mean? This Fidelity article breaks down the consequences and the possible solutions for this event.
2. Forbes has a good Q&A that focuses on the tax aspect and who the fiscal cliff could hurt most.
3. Are the fears over exaggerated? Most likely yes, as drama brings in big dollars. NBC News highlights a few economic reports and also tries to hush some of the unneeded dramatics.
4. NYTimes mentions that with weak earning seasons for many bellwethers such as DuPont, GE and Alcoa, there is a case to be made that the market in general is precariously holding onto the edge. On top of that the fiscal tax situation could just about push us over back into a recession.
5. Well written Economist article highlighting the squabbles between political parties that accomplish virtually nothing in an election year. I see it as a game of chicken where the ultimate losers will be the American people.
6. Government inaction could be causing fewer jobs to be created as businesses are stuck in neutral not knowing what to do. As usual, Bloomberg has a strong article to back up their points.